Friday, September 13, 2013

Wednesday, September 11 2013


Today was another full day. I got to see Happy Canyon for this first time, it really giving you a great example of a different growing region. It was hot dry and dusty, much more than the Fiddlestix vineyard. Without being protected by a mountain chain this area is really exposed to the elements. It is still a gorgeous place. 


From this photo you can see how the heat here really effects the plants. Notice the brown leaves and dry soil, this place is completely opposite from the area I've been work.
  
  
  Other than that quick trip to collect samples my day was spent at the winery. Today we removed all the stems from the 9.3 tons of grapes we collected yesterday in order to get them ready for fermentation. I must point out also how dangerous all the equipment is, you really need to be aware of what's going on around you and also need to trust the people your working with. I now know why Kathy stresses protecting yourself and communication. She really has a great crew. Standing on top of the destemmer is a bit overwhelming, forklifts are push bins around and dumping grapes in your face as.


 Falling in this would really ruin your day. Today was another adventure and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

 P.s. I like Thai food!

No comments:

Post a Comment